Ingredients for cooking eggplant caviar in Odessa
- Eggplant (young) 500 grams (1 large or 2 medium)
- Bulgarian sweet pepper (any color) 2-3 pieces (large)
- Tomatoes 2-3 pieces (large)
- Onions (white or red) 1 piece
- Garlic 1-2 prongs
- Parsley 1 bunch (small) either at will and taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Vegetable oil 3-4 tablespoons
- Main ingredients: Eggplant, Pepper, Tomato, Garlic
- Serving 1 serving
- World CuisineUkrainian Cuisine
Stove, Oven, Kitchen knife (cleaver), Wooden cutting board, Aluminum food foil, Nonstick pan, Kitchen potholders, Paper kitchen towels, Skimmer, Deep bowl - 2-3 pieces, Tablespoon, Plastic food wrap, Refrigerator, Salad bowl or deep bowl
Cooking eggplant caviar in Odessa:
Step 1: bake eggplant and pepper.
First of all, turn on and preheat the ovenabout 200 degrees celsius. Then we wash the whole eggplant and sweet bell pepper under a stream of cold running water. We dry them with paper kitchen towels, grease with a tablespoon of vegetable oil and wrap in a double layer of aluminum foil, so that we get a bag.
Next, put the vegetables on a non-stick baking sheet, put in a preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until ready. After the right time, we put on kitchen gloves in our hands, transfer the bag of fragrant ingredients to the cutting board, carefully unfold and allow the eggplant and peppercorns to cool to room temperature.
Step 2: Blanch the tomatoes.
While the baked vegetables are cooling down, put on a strong fire a full teapot of water, wash the tomatoes, make cross-sections on each cut and put in a deep bowl. Then pour them with boiling water and keep it in it. 30-40 seconds.
Then, using the slotted spoon, we send the hot tomatoes to the dishes with ice water and leave them there until they cool completely. Then we dry them with paper towels and optionally remove the skin, but you can also with it, after such a heat treatment the skin becomes soft.
Step 3: prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Now peel the onions and garlic. We wash them with parsley under water and dry. We also put on the kitchen table the remaining products that will be needed to prepare the dish, and proceed to the next step.
Step 4: bring the caviar to full readiness.
Remove peeled eggplant and peppers. Then put their flesh on a wide cutting board along with blanched tomatoes, onions, tomatoes, garlic and parsley. We take a sharp kitchen knife and in turn chop the vegetables in small pieces up to 1 centimeter in size. The initial form of slicing is not critical, it just does not have to be large.
Then we chop everything more finely or to the desired size, you can skip through a meat grinder or grind in a blender. Transfer the resulting mixture into a deep bowl, season with black ground pepper, salt, sugar and vegetable oil. Mix everything thoroughly with a tablespoon until smooth. We tighten the dishes with caviar with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for 1.5-2 hoursso that the dish is infused, although in a warm form it is very tasty.
Step 5: serve eggplant caviar in Odessa.
Odessa-style eggplant caviar is served less often in warm and more often in chilled form. It is served in salad bowls or deep bowls as an appetizer, but sometimes it is used as a side dish and immediately laid out in portions on plates along with dishes of meat, poultry, fish or game.
This food has a pleasant aroma of vegetables and a rich, islandy, slightly sour-spicy flavor. This miracle will perfectly complement and diversify a festive or casual table! Enjoy it!
Enjoy your meal!
- eggplant and pepper can be baked on charcoal, grilled or fried in a dry pan;
- very often, after baking, the eggplants are placed under the press for 1 hour so that the bitterness is gone, but this must be done if you use late varieties of this vegetable;
- A great substitute for parsley - fresh cilantro or dill with basil;
- it is better to cut the eggplant flesh with a wooden, plastic or glass knife, the vegetable will darken from the usual metal;
- if you cook caviar for long storage, do not put greens right away, it can ferment. It is advisable to season the dish immediately before serving, this will only improve its taste!