Ingredients for cooking bobot
- Fresh beef pulp 400 grams
- White bread 1 piece
- Milk 300 milliliters
- 1 medium onion
- Raisins pitted 30 grams
- Almonds 30 grams
- Apricot jam 1 teaspoon
- Seasoning chutney 1 teaspoon
- Small lemon 1 piece
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- Ground turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chicken egg 1 piece
- Bay leaf medium size 2 pieces
- Olive oil for frying
- Main Ingredients: Beef, Onion, Bread
- Serving 2 servings
- World CuisineEgyptian Cuisine
Juicer, Cutting board, Knife, Plate - 2 pieces, Medium bowl - 2 pieces, Bowl - 2 pieces, Cooker, Frying pan, Wooden spatula, Teaspoon, Tablespoon, Baking dish, Mixer or whisk, Oven, Kitchen gloves , Serving dish, Kitchen paper towels
Step 1: prepare the almonds.
We lay almonds on a cutting board and, using a knife, chop into small pieces. After that, we shift the pieces of nuts into a free plate. Attention: peeling almonds is not necessary.
Step 2: prepare the raisins.
We spread raisins in a bowl and fill with ordinary water. We wash dried fruits several times in this way and afterwards we transfer them to kitchen paper towels. For a while, we leave the raisins aside so that the excess liquid from the glass.
Step 3: prepare the onion.
Peel the onion and then rinse thoroughly under running water. We lay out the component on a cutting board and finely chop the knife into pieces. After we transfer it to a free plate.
Step 4: prepare the beef.
We thoroughly rinse the beef under running water to wash away any bone fragments and dirt. After that, we transfer the meat to a cutting board and, using a knife, finely chop into pieces. Shredded component is transferred to a free medium bowl.
Step 5: prepare the bread.
We put a piece of bread in a clean bowl and pour 150 milliliters of milk. For a while, we leave the container aside so that the bakery product completely absorbs liquid and becomes soft. Immediately after that, we squeeze out the component with clean hands and transfer to a bowl with pieces of meat.
Step 6: prepare the lemon.
We wash the lemon under running water and put it on a cutting board. Using a knife, cut the citrus into two halves. Then squeeze out each part on a juicer. Attention: to make bobot we need 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
Step 7: prepare the base of the bobot.
In a bowl with beef and bread, spread the chopped almonds, onion, and raisins. Using a tablespoon, mix everything thoroughly until a homogeneous mass is formed.
Pour a small amount of olive oil into the pan and put the container on medium heat. When the oil warms up well, put the base of the dish in the pan. From time to time, stirring everything with a wooden spatula, fry the mixture for 5-7 minutes.
After the allotted time, add curry, turmeric and chutney to the pan and mix everything well with improvised inventory. Then pour freshly squeezed lemon juice and spread the apricot jam. Mix everything thoroughly again. At the end, salt everything, mix again with a spatula and you can turn off the burner.
Step 8: prepare the egg-milk mixture.
Break the egg into the medium bowl and pour the remaining milk. Using a mixer or hand whisk, beat the components well until a homogeneous mass is formed.
Step 9: cook the bobot.
Spread the meat base of the bobot in a baking dish. We fill everything with an egg-milk mixture and level it with a wooden spatula or a tablespoon. Put laurel leaves on the surface of the dish and put the container in the oven to bake for 40 minutes at a temperature 180 ° C. After the allotted time, the bobotai is covered with a golden crust. Immediately after that, turn off the oven, and get the baking dish using kitchen oven mitts.
Step 10: serve the bobot.
We transfer the ready-made rosy bobotai to a special plate for serving and we hasten to treat guests with this unusual African dish. If desired, you can cut it with a knife into portions so that everyone can put as much as he wants into a plate.
- Instead of apricot jam, canned or fresh chopped apricots can be added to the base of the bobot.
- To prevent raisins and almonds on the surface of the dish during baking, the baking dish can be covered with food foil. And to bobotay brown, in 5-7 minutes you need to remove the foil.
- Chutney is a special African seasoning that you can cook yourself at home. Usually it is made from fruits or vegetables with the addition of lemon juice or vinegar. In general, there are a lot of recipes. But for cooking the bobot, I used onion seasoning. So, finely chop one small onion and put it into a deep enameled or glass bowl. Pour component 1 teaspoon of ground red pepper and the same amount of salt. Set aside for 5-10 minutes. After that, mix everything well and add the zest and juice of one small lemon. Using a blender, beat everything lightly at low speed and let the chutney brew for another 30 minutes. Everything, seasoning is ready!