Ingredients for making sweet sauerkraut
- White cabbage 1 kilogram
- Sweet carrots 1 kilogram
- Salt 2 teaspoons
- Sugar 2 tablespoons
- Main Ingredients: Cabbage, Carrot, Sugar
Glass jar, wooden stick, saucer, cup, kitchen knife, grater for chopping vegetables, a knife for cleaning vegetables, a deep bowl, a tablespoon, gauze.
Step 1: Prepare the vegetables.
Vegetables need to be peeled and washed, top leaves removed from cabbage, and peeled from carrots. Rinse everything and grind with a special grater for chopping vegetables.
Attention: do not forget to remove the stalk from the cabbage so that it does not spoil the whole salad.
If there is no special grater, then chop the carrots with a regular one, and cut the cabbage into thin strips.
Step 2: Kvasim cabbage.
In a large bowl or bowl, mix the vegetables. Add salt to them and mix gently, but thoroughly. You do not need to press and squeeze, on the contrary, try to stir so carefully that the juice does not stand out at all.
Put the resulting salad in a glass jar. Now you need to very carefully compact the vegetables so that the brine comes out. Cover the jar with clean and dense gauze, and put a saucer with a load on top, which, for example, can be a small cup filled with clean water. Leave the sauerkraut over 2 - 3 days. Moreover, every day, and preferably several times a day, gases must be released from the can. For this, pierce the cabbage with a wooden stick. Pierce in several places and to the bottom.
Step 3: Harvest sauerkraut.
As soon as the cabbage is fermented, it is necessary to get it out of the can, squeeze the brine from it (but not just like that, into the sink, but into a deep plate, we will still need it). Transfer cabbage with carrots to a clean glass jar.
Mix previously squeezed brine with sugar until smooth. Pour the resulting liquid into a jar of cabbage. Close the lid and leave more on 12 hours. After which, sauerkraut will be ready. Keep it in a cool place, but not for long, but it is better to eat it soon.
Step 4: Serve sweet sauerkraut.
Ready-made sauerkraut is a very delicious salad appetizer. It turns out crispy and incredibly delicious. Serve it in a separate saucer, garnishing with slices of sweet and sour apples, dried plum, cranberries or green grapes and do not forget to pour it with fragrant sunflower oil.
Enjoy your meal!
- It’s not just that I noted in the list of ingredients that carrots should be sweet. The fact is that the sweeter and tastier the carrot, the tastier and sweeter the sauerkraut made with it is obtained.
- If you are uncomfortable to ferment cabbage in a jar or you are fermenting large quantities of vegetables at once, take a large enameled bowl or a special tub.
- In a jar, cabbage can be pierced not only with a wooden stick, but also with a long knife, if its blade reaches the bottom of the container.
- Do not use iodized salt to prepare sauerkraut, as it can give bitterness.