Ingredients for Cooking Lean Pea Soup
- Dried peas (whole or crushed) 200 grams
- Potato 4 pieces
- Carrot 1 piece
- Onion 2 pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Laurel leaf 3 pieces
- Allspice 5 grains
- Wheat flour (fried) 2 tablespoons
- Salt 1 tablespoon or to taste
- Purified water 3 liters
- Refined vegetable oil 2 tablespoons
- Main Ingredients Pea, Potato, Onion, Carrot
- World Cuisine
Measuring cup, tablespoon, stove, deep pan with a lid (capacity 3 liters), deep bowl - 2 pieces, colander, kitchen knife, cutting board, paper kitchen towels, slotted spoon, frying pan, wooden or silicone kitchen spatula, ladle, deep portion plate.
Cooking lean pea soup:
Step 1: prepare the peas.
First, we cover the countertop with parchment or baking paper, pour the necessary amount of dry whole or crushed peas onto it and sort it out, while removing any kind of litter. Then we drop the grains into a colander and rinse thoroughly until a clear trickle from the tap goes. After that, we throw the peas into a deep bowl, fill it with ordinary running water, so that it is 5-7 centimeters higher, and insist them in this form 12 hours from evening to night.
Step 2: cook the peas.
After half a day, we again discard the swollen grains in a colander and rinse again. Then we move them into a deep pan and fill with two liters of purified water. We put everything on medium heat and after boiling, cook the peas until fully cooked within 45 minutes if crushed, and about 1-1.5 hours if whole. During this process, using a slotted spoon, periodically remove the gray-white foam from the surface of the bubbling liquid.
Step 3: prepare the rest of the ingredients.
While the main component is cooked using a sharp kitchen knife, peel all the vegetables indicated in the recipe. Then we wash them, dry them with paper kitchen towels, take turns on a chopping board and chop. Cut the potatoes into small cubes ranging in size from 1.5 to 2 centimeters, drop them into a clean deep dish, pour 2-3 fingers higher in cold water and leave them in this form until they are darkened.
Chop onions into 1 centimeter cubes, squeeze the garlic through a special press into a small bowl, and chop the carrots on a medium or large grater. After that, put the rest of the necessary ingredients on the countertop and move on.
Step 4: Cook Lean Pea Soup - Stage One.
When the peas are almost ready, add chopped potatoes to it and, after boiling, cook the vegetable for 10-12 minutes. By the way, just at this time, you can increase the amount of water to the desired level, if you want a thick soup, then two liters, of course, is enough, but if you want more liquid, then it’s better to add at least a liter, it all depends on personal preferences.
Step 5: prepare a dressing for the soup.
We don’t lose a minute, we start to dressing for soup! We put the pan on medium heat and pour a couple of tablespoons of refined vegetable oil into it. After a few minutes, dip the onions in the preheated fat and pass it for 3-4 minutes until transparent, periodically stirring with a wooden or silicone kitchen spatula. As soon as it reaches the desired state, add the carrots to the pan and cook them together for about 5 minutes until the latter is soft, if desired, the dressing can be browned to a golden color. Then sprinkle the vegetables with two tablespoons of fried wheat flour, mix everything thoroughly and immediately proceed to the next, almost final step.
Step 6: cook lean pea soup - stage two.
We move the vegetable dressing in a pan with boiling soup, put garlic, a bay leaf, allspice and salt there. Gently mix all the constituent dishes to a uniform consistency and cook already aromatic yummy 12-15 minutes. Then turn off the stove, cover the pan with a lid and let the soup stand for a while 10-15 minutes, and after that you can start tasting!
Step 7: serve lean pea soup.
Lean pea soup after cooking is insisted, then with the help of a ladle they are poured in portions on plates and, at will, each is chopped with finely chopped fresh herbs, for example, dill, parsley, cilantro, basil or green onions. As an addition to such a wonderful dinner dish, you can offer crackers, toasts, non-egg bread, lean mayonnaise, vegetable salad, marinades and, of course, pickles. Cook with love, and let Lent be a joy to you!
Enjoy your meal!
- if you cook soup in winter, then peas can be infused in a house or apartment, but in a cool place, changing water for new every hour, and if in summer, then it is better to put a bowl of grains in the refrigerator, in this case the liquid can not be replaced;
- what is fried flour? This is a common product of this type, heated in a dry frying pan over moderate heat to a delicate beige color. If you are prone to heartburn, then it is better not to use flour, and also not try to replace it with potato or corn starch, which slows down the digestion process and causes high acidity;
- very often vegetables are not fried, but put in a pot along with potatoes, but in this case a little vegetable oil is poured there, so that the soup is more satisfying and rich;
- some housewives, along with carrots and onions, freshly chopped finely chopped tomatoes, and then add a tablespoon of sweet tomato paste or spicy homemade adjika to the dressing.