Updated September 17, 2015
12 oz box Golden Grahams™ cereal
16 oz bag miniature marshmallows
12 oz bag milk chocolate chips
tablespoons butter or margarine
can non-stick cooking spray
Before you start, place the bag of chocolate chips in the freezer.
Open the bag of marshmallows, and set aside about 1/4 of the bag. Make sure you bought the 16oz bag of marshies. If you accidentally bought the 12oz, decrease the butter by 1 tablespoon.
In a huge bowl in the microwave, melt the 5 tablespoons of butter. It takes about 30-60 seconds depending on how cold the butter is.
Take the bowl out of the microwave, and mix in the 3/4 of remaining marshmallows from the bag. Coat the marshmallows in the butter by stirring with a spatula. Place bowl back into the the microwave and heat on high for 1 1/2 minutes.
Remove marshmallows and stir with spatula until they are mixed well and all gooey. Take the box of Golden Grahams and add in a cup or so at a time. After each cup is added, stir the marshmallows around until the pieces of cereal are well coated.
Take the remaining 1/4 bag of marshmallows that you set aside at the start, and mix those into the giant bowl.
Next, add in the frozen bag of chocolate chips. Again, doing this a half cup or so at a time will help it mix it better, and prevent the chips from ending up on the bottom of the bowl getting all melty.
Find a 9x9 (for super thick) or 9 x13 (for regular sized) pan. Spray bottom with non-stick cooking spray and pour mixture in. Flatten it all together with the spatula and let sit.
If you can't wait, the bars will be droopy but delicious. Otherwise, let those bad boys set in the pan for a few hours. I found that six hours was about the best set time.
Fun S’mores Cookie Bars Recipe
I am sad to think that for years I didn’t eat S’mores. When you aren’t a marshmallow fan it seems so logical. Then I discovered the transformation of a roasted marshmallow and my mind was changed.
Here is the deal…the roasted marshmallow can’t be under cooked or over cooked. There needs to be a nice hue of brown on the outside of the marshmallow which takes some time.
If you get too impatient then they usually catch on fire and it is ruined. If you don’t cook it long enough then they taste like they are right out of the bag…so what is the point.
There is an art and commitment level to getting them just right. Or you can make these cookie bars and guess what? The oven gets the marshmallows just right for you!
Thank you so much for stopping by! This S’mores Cookie Bars recipe contains affiliate links, I receive a small amount of compensation if you choose to purchase from my links (for example – as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases). I only link to products that I know and love!
How To Make Easy S&rsquomores Bars
The base to every s&rsquomores recipe has to be graham crackers. It is what allows you to hold this iconic dessert in an effort not to get sticky from the melted marshmallows and chocolate.
An easy way to melt the butter &ndash place the butter in your glass baking dish and microwave in 30 second increments until melted.
First remove 30 full-size graham crackers from their packages. Then place them in a large food processor like our 12 cup Hamilton Beach Duo. Press pulse until you have crumbs. If you don&rsquot have a food processor, you can place them inside a resealable plastic bag. Then crush them with your hands or a rolling pin.
Next, melt the butter in a 9 x 13 glass pan. We do this in the microwave and heat at 30 second intervals until the butter has completely turned to liquid. However, if you are using a metal pan, it is best to melt the microwave in a separate bowl or in a saucepan on the stove. Then add the butter to the 9 x 13 baking dish.
Now add the graham cracker crumbs and salt in the pan with the butter and mix. When the crumbs absorb the moisture press the crust tightly into the bottom of the pan.
Once the graham cracker crust has baked for 10 minutes, add 4 cups of mini marshmallows on top.
Now it is time to add 4 cups of mini marshmallow on top of the S&rsquomores Bars crust. Scatter out the marshmallows so there is an even layer that covers the crust.
Oven Roasted Marshmallows
Then place the dish in a preheated oven for 10 minutes or until the tops of the marshmallows become lightly golden brown. No, you can&rsquot char the marshmallows until they are black here. This dessert makes 24 individual bars so you want the marshmallow taste to be pleasing to the majority.
However, I suppose if everyone that you are going to be serving this to loves charred marshmallows, you could do so with a creme brûlée torch.
Remove the pan from the oven when the marshmallows are light golden brown in color.
Once the marshmallows are melted and a light golden brown in color, remove the pan from the oven and set aside. Let the S&rsquomores Bars rest until the marshmallows deflate. This usually requires about 5 minutes.
However, don&rsquot wait too long. You need the marshmallow layer to be warm when you add the remaining ingredients so that they can adhere to the surface.
To complete the top layer, sprinkle on the entire bag of milk chocolate chips. Sprinkle them evenly across the top, or as close to it as possible. Then add the remaining mini marshmallows and the reserved graham cracker crumbs.
This extra layer of crumbs on top gives you the crunch that you are familiar when eating a classic S&rsquomores dessert.
Top the bars with the remaining marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs.
To receive our 3 Recipe Articles in your inbox each week, sign up for our free email list located on the side and bottom of each recipe. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links where a small commission is paid if you purchase a product at no additional cost to you.
- 1 (21.5 ounce) package brownie mix
- 6 graham crackers
- 1 ½ cups miniature marshmallows
- 8 (1.5 ounce) bars milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare brownie mix according to package directions. Spread into a greased 9x13 inch pan.
In a medium bowl, break graham crackers into 1 inch pieces and toss with miniature marshmallows and milk chocolate. Set s'more mixture aside.
Bake brownies for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove, and sprinkle the s'more goodies evenly over the top. Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow brownies to cool before cutting into squares.
13 Easy Smore Recipes to Make with Kids
These easy smore recipes won’t just provide a mouthwatering summer treat, they’ll also provide a lifetime of memories.
After all, who doesn’t remember smores from their childhood? The treat goes back generations and continues to be a favorite of all ages.
Where did smores come from?
It is believed that smores began with campfire girls and spread from there. The recipe was first published in a Girl Scout handbook in 1927.
Why the name? Urban legend or not, it is said that once someone first tasted a warm and gooey s’more–it was difficult not to say, “Give me some more!” Hence the early campfire treat became known as smores!
The basic smore idea has crept into recipes with versions of cookies, cupcakes, and candy! There are many ways to make them and none of them are wrong… “Your way” is the right way! Enjoy!
Can you make smores in the microwave?
Yes, you can make smores in the microwave. Below you will find a number of smore recipes that call for a microwave to cook them. This will help reduce the time it takes to cook up these delicious treats.
1. Traditional Bonfire Smores
✓ Graham cracker squares (Any flavor)
✓ Large marshmallows
✓ Chocolate candy bars such as Hershey
✓ Long metal skewers or sticks
✓ A campfire, bonfire or fire pit
- Break large graham crackers in half. This will be the base and top for the s’mores.
- Unwrap candy bars and break into pieces to fit the graham cracker squares.
- Place the chocolate on the crackers.
- Pierce marshmallows onto sticks and hold over the fire until they are the color that you like. (Usually a golden brown)
- Place roasted marshmallows on cracker halves with chocolate. Place a plain graham cracker on top of this.
- Squish down a bit and let the warm marshmallow melt the chocolate a bit. Mmmmm–give me smore!
2. Basic Microwave Smores
✓ Large Marshmallows
✓ Graham cracker Squares
✓ Milk Chocolate candy bars such as Hershey
- Plate a large marshmallow onto a Graham Cracker Square.
- Microwave it on high for 10 to 12 seconds or until the marshmallows puffs in size.
- Remove from microwave and top with a chocolate square that has previously been broken to fit the cracker.
- Top with another cracker square–sandwiching the filling.
- Turn over so the graham cracker chocolate part is facing downward. Squish together until marshmallow oozes out a bit and chocolate begins to melt!
3. Almost Smores Recipe 1
✓ 1 graham cracker
✓ 1 Tablespoon chocolate frosting.
- Break each cracker into four sections and spread frosting on two.
- Place the other two crackers on top to make sandwiches.
4. Easy Almost Smores Recipe Number 2
✓ Marshmallow Fluff
✓ Chocolate covered graham crackers
Use Marshmallow Fluff! TAKE chocolate-covered grahams and spread them with Marshmallow Fluff for easy, no-bake S’Mores!
Note: Marshmallow Creme and Marshmallow Fluff are the same things. The name of the product depends on the manufacturing company
5. Salty Peanut Butter Smores
✓ Peanut Butter
✓ Saltine Crackers
- Spread Peanut butter onto saltine crackers.
- Place a marshmallow on top of peanut butter.
- Place in a toaster oven until marshmallow is golden brown.
6. Smores and Peanut Butter Too
✓ 2 graham crackers
✓ 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
✓ 1 Tablespoon marshmallow creme
✓ 1/2 chocolate bar
- Spread peanut butter with knife on 1 graham cracker square.
- Top the peanut butter with the chocolate bar.
- Spread the marshmallow creme on the remaining graham cracker square place it marshmallow side down on the chocolate bar.
7. Turtle Smores
✓ Nestle Signature Turtle Candies
✓ 4 graham cracker squares
✓ 1 large marshmallow, cut in half
- PLACE 1 Turtle on 1 graham cracker square.
- Top with 1 marshmallow half. MICROWAVE on HIGH (100%) power for 10 to 15 seconds or until marshmallow expands.
- Immediately top with 1 graham cracker square.
- Repeat with remaining Turtle, graham cracker squares and marshmallow half.
8. Easy Frozen Smores
Looking for a fun treat to make with the kids that involve absolutely NO cooking or baking? These yummies are perfect for hot summer days!
✓ 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
✓ 2/3 cup mini-marshmallows
✓ 2 cups whipped topping
✓ 1 box of graham crackers, any flavor
- In a large bowl with a wooden spoon, stir together first three ingredients. Mix well.
- Scoop mixture onto a graham cracker square and sandwich with another square.
- Continue making S’Mores and place them in the freezer for approximately 1 1/2 hours, or until frozen. Serve frozen.
9. How to Make Smores Dip
✓ 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
✓ 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
✓ 1/2 cup marshmallow creme
✓ 1 box (13 oz) graham cracker honey sticks
- In a small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips and condensed milk on high 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chips are melted.
- Stir to mix well. Pour into a 9-inch glass pie pan, spreading evenly.
- Drop marshmallow creme by tablespoonfuls randomly over chocolate mixture.
- Microwave on High about 30 seconds or until marshmallow creme is softened. Immediately with a knife, make several small swirls through marshmallow and chocolate, creating a marbled appearance.
- Serve immediately with graham sticks for dipping. Recipe from Betty Crocker
10. Sunbaked Smores
✓ Chocolate Chips
✓ Mini marshmallows
✓ Graham crackers
- Have children place one graham cracker sheet in a foil pie plate.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips, and miniature marshmallows.
- Cover the pie plate with tin foil, and label tins for each child.
- Place outside in a sunny hot place, check after 20 minutes.
- They are done when the sun has melted the chocolate and marshmallow. Yummy!
You need to do this experiment when it is at least 85° F. If it isn’t hot enough outside, wait for a warmer day.
Note: When KidActivities made this recipe-it took longer for the marshmallows to soften-however-we topped the marshmallows and chocolate chips with another cracker before covering it with foil. I will try again without placing a second graham cracker…
Want a quick S’More tasting treat? Try some S’More Pop-tarts! To add a little zing to your snack…OR…try the following recipe from the Kellog’s Pop-Tartwebsite…
11. Pop-Tart Smores
✓ 2 Kellogg’s® Pop-Tarts® Frosted S’Mores toaster pastries
✓ 1/3 cup marshmallow creme
✓ Multi-colored sprinkles (optional)
- Cut KELLOGG’S POP-TARTS FROSTED S’MORES toaster pastries in half. Spread marshmallow creme on top of pastry pieces.
- Arrange sprinkles on top, if desired.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Broil 5- to 6-inches from heat for 2 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
12. Smore Fudge
✓ 1 can sweetened condensed milk (Not evaporated milk)
✓ 12 oz. bag of milk chocolate or Semi-Sweet chips
✓ 1 cup mini marshmallows
✓ 3 graham crackers
- Depending on the melting method
13. Smore Brownies
✓ Fudge Brownie Mix (20 oz)
✓ 9 Graham Crackers
✓ 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
✓ 2 cups miniature marshmallows
✓ 1/3 cup peanuts (optional)
- Line a greased 9吉″ baking pan/dish with graham cracker pieces.
- Following package directions, prepare brownie mix. Pour the mixture over the graham crackers.
- Bake for 25 minutes in a preheated 350-degree oven.
- Remove after 25 minutes and scatter chocolate chips, marshmallows, and nuts evenly over top of brownies.
- Return to oven for five minutes
Bonus: Smore Pound Cake Squares
From Sara Lee
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 10 minutes
✓ 1 package Sara Lee Frozen Pound cake–thawed
✓ 2 cups miniature marshmallows
✓ 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
✓ 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F
- Spray a 13 inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray. Cut pound cake into 15 slices. Place in the bottom of the pan–cutting to fit cake if needed.
- Sprinkle marshmallows, chips, and peanuts evenly over pound cake.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until marshmallows are melted and lightly toasted. Cool cut into squares. Makes 24 servings of one square each.
Did you know that each year National Smores Day is August 10th? Be sure and celebrate this fun day!
We hope you have enjoyed these yummy smore recipes. Whether you are cooking them inside or outdoors, you are sure to find some that are perfect for your situation.