Ingredients for making cabbage rolls with buckwheat and mushrooms
- White cabbage (fresh) 1 fork (weight 1 kilogram 400 grams)
- 1-2 carrots
- Onion 2 pieces
- Sweet pepper 1 piece
- Mushrooms (fresh champignons) 500 grams
- Buckwheat 200 grams
- Tomato juice 500 milliliters
- Dill 1-2 branches
- Vegetable oil 4 tablespoons
- Purified water 200 milliliters
- Thyme (dried) 1 branch or to taste
- Laurel leaf 2-3 pieces or to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Main Ingredients: Cabbage, Onions, Carrots, Mushrooms, Buckwheat
- Serving 8-10
- World CuisineUkrainian Cuisine
Measuring cup, kitchen scale, kitchen knife - 2 pieces, cutting board - 2 pieces, paper kitchen towels, grater, deep pan, kitchen tongs, deep bowl, frying pan, wooden kitchen spatula, kettle, tablespoon, colander, oven, deep non-stick or a heat-resistant baking dish with a lid, kitchen gloves, a plate.
Cooking cabbage rolls with buckwheat and mushrooms:
Step 1: prepare the ingredients.
First of all, put on a strong fire a deep pan filled halfway with ordinary running water, and bring the liquid to a boil. Meanwhile, with the help of a sharp kitchen knife, we remove white cabbage from the upper, almost always damaged hard leaves and cut out a stump from it.
Then peel onions, carrots, peel the root of each mushroom, and squeeze the stem out of the salad pepper and gut it from the seeds. Thoroughly rinse everything with greens under trickles of cold water and dry with paper kitchen towels. After that, one by one we lay out these products on a cutting board and continue preparation.
We chop the onion with pepper in 1 centimeter cubes, chop the carrots on a medium or large grater, leave the small champignons whole, cut large ones into 4-6 parts, and leave the dill branches intact, they are only needed for flavor.
We sort the buckwheat, while removing any kind of litter, pour its grains into a colander, rinse and leave it in the sink before use, so that the glass is excess liquid. Next, put on the countertop the remaining ingredients that you will need to prepare the dish, and proceed to the next step.
Step 2: Blanch the cabbage.
If the water in the pan boils, very carefully lower the fork of white cabbage into it so that the liquid completely covers it. Blanch the vegetable until medium soft. As soon as the extreme leaves become more tender and elastic, and also begin to separate easily from the head, using kitchen tongs, carefully transfer them into a deep bowl. Overexposure in hot water is not worth it, otherwise they will break during the formation of cabbage rolls! It is also worth removing only large leaves in which the stuffing is easily wrapped. The rest of the vegetable can be used to cook any other delicious second or first hot dishes.
Step 3: prepare the filling.
While blanched cabbage cools, turn on two burners on medium heat. We put a teapot with purified water on one and bring it to a boil, and on the second we put up a pan and pour 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil into it. After a few minutes, when the fat warms up, we send the chopped onion into it and fry it until it is brown, occasionally stirring it with a wooden kitchen spatula. It will take about 4-5 minutes.
As soon as it is browned, add sweet pepper, grated carrots and mushrooms to the pan. We continue to cook them together until they soften and become golden.
After that, pour in the already dried buckwheat there, pour it with a glass of boiling water from the teapot, season to taste with salt, black pepper and simmer over low heat until the moisture evaporates completely, about 10-12 minutes. After that, mix the filling to a homogeneous consistency, taste it, if necessary, add more spices, then remove from the stove, put it near the ajar window and completely cool.
Step 4: forming cabbage rolls.
As soon as the leaves have cooled, cut off from each thickened lower part of the stem. Then we spread on one of them a couple of tablespoons of a mixture of buckwheat and vegetables.
We cover the minced meat on one side of the cabbage leaf, bend its edges on the sides and fold the roll or envelope. In the same way we make the remaining cabbage rolls until the main components are over, and at the same time we heat the oven to 180-200 degrees Celsius.
Step 5: bring the dish to full readiness.
Next, we take a heat-resistant baking dish, grease its bottom with a tablespoon of vegetable oil and send there a sprig of thyme with two or three leaves of laurel. On top of the dried herbs, spread evenly raw cabbage rolls in even layers and fill them with tomato juice, which should completely cover the product.
If there is little fluid, double its amount. Not enough juice? Dilute the one that is the next portion of purified water, another 150-200 milliliters is quite enough. After that, cover the form with a tight-fitting lid and put in a preheated oven on 60 or 80 minutes.
The time may vary depending on how soft cabbage you prefer, although the filling will take the right consistency after 45-50 minutes. As soon as the dish reaches full readiness, we put on kitchen gloves in our hands, rearrange the form on a cutting board, previously laid on the countertop, and insist the cabbage rolls under a covered lid 7-10 minutes. After that, lay them out in portions on plates and serve to the table.
Step 6: serve the cabbage rolls with buckwheat and mushrooms.
Stuffed cabbage with buckwheat and mushrooms is served hot as the second main vegetarian dish. They are served in portions on a plate based on one, two or three cabbage rolls. As a decoration for this dish, you can offer sprigs of fresh herbs, for example, dill, parsley or cilantro, and mayonnaise, cream or sour cream will serve as an excellent addition. Enjoy a delicious and simple meal!
Enjoy your meal!
- the set of spices indicated in the recipe is quite simple, but you can change its composition depending on personal preferences, complementing with any dried herbs, as well as spices that are used during the preparation of vegetable dishes;
- An alternative to buckwheat is millet or half-cooked rice, fresh cabbage is pickled, and tomato juice is freshly ground tomatoes in a blender or grated;
- very often, before baking, stuffed cabbage is fried on all sides to a golden crust in a small amount of vegetable oil, from which they have a more attractive appearance, as well as some very pleasant peculiar flavor;
- some chefs prepare a combined dressing for cabbage rolls, mixing tomato juice with sour cream or cream 1: 1;
- to make the minced meat more dense after cooking, you can add a raw chicken egg and a couple of tablespoons of sifted wheat flour;
- Such cabbage rolls can be put out in a regular cast-iron cauldron or in a deep frying pan, after 60 minutes they will be ready.